Saturday, October 07, 2006

Life in a northern town

I was driving across town after I picked up my daughter's birthday cake, and it hit me out of the blue, the way it does upon occasion. Wow. Somehow, this kid from an Ohio cornfield is living in a Canadian city of a million people. Oh, and the kid is Jewish now.

I thought about all I've gone through to bring me to this point, and how many lives I've lived already, and I said "Dang, Chandra! You have an interesting life. You should blog that."

I already have a couple of blogs going, both of them anonymous. They're really not very interesting - one is about fitness, the other is this motivational thing. I seem to have this compulsion to do public speaking and write self-help material. I think I'm starting to become a fairly decent public speaker. As for the self-help material, I've managed to write an ebook, some articles, and the blog.

I toyed with the idea of making this blog anonymous. I decided not to. Who knows - perhaps some long-lost friend from the past will find me through this blog. (God, I hope I remember him/her.) Or even more interesting, a long-lost enemy. More likely, however, is that this blog, like 99.9999% of the others, will drift along in pleasant obscurity.

So who am I?

Today, I'm a mother of a five-year-old, I work in the not-for-profit sector, my daily thoughts usually include wondering if I'll ever finish painting my daughter's bedroom and wondering if I'll ever use those $200 running shoes I bought last year.

Intermittently, I have other thoughts that are tangential to my identity, such as:

1. I should pick up the guitar again. I was getting fairly good at it for awhile.
2. I should pick up the bass, too. And the piano. No. I won't pick up the piano.
3. I fancy myself as an artsy fartsy crafty person. It would be easier to fancy myself thusly if this ever manifested itself in actual artwork. I was into rubber stamping for awhile, and there is an oil pastel done by yours truly hanging in our living room. It's geometric, bold, exciting, and hopelessly amateur.
4. I should start a blog about my wonderful life. Nah, I don't have time.
5. I would be an absolute, drop-dead, gorgeous babe if I could just lose weight. Men's tongues would fall out of their mouths & land on the sidewalk, books would fall from library shelves, and meteors would disturb air traffic controllers. I guess it's best I don't lose that weight.
6. This house we're living in doesn't feel like my house. We moved into my husband's parent's house in 2004, and we still haven't replaced the gold shag carpet.
7. I wish we had time to have sex more often. Oops, did I say that out loud?

So, basically, I flirt with being a musician and an artist, but I spend my time fussing over my figure and this damned house.

Oh, come on! Admit it! Doesn't this make for WONDERFUL blogfodder? Stay tuned for more - hope you can sleep nights waiting for it!\

No comments: