Sunday, October 22, 2006

Groovy retro or bad shag?

So people have been telling us that we should keep the shag carpet in the living room!

Last night, we tried out a new babysitter, so she came to the house for the first time, and loved the house. She said that the shag carpet is totally retro and back. This morning, I was talking on the phone with my nephew's wife, and she too said that we should keep the shag, especially if it's in good condition.

I have a friend who said that when we pull it out, she'd like to have some. And Eric has a coworker who offered to buy it from us!

Well, I can't really go art deco with gold shag carpet, can I???

So maybe I should just give in to the carpet and go seriously retro on purpose.



So if we go groovy retro, what do we do about our antique dining room suite, bookcases, and so on?

Fortunately, we have two cool pieces of furniture that go well with the carpet, in terms of shape. They both need reupholstered. Or maybe just seriously cleaned. The sofa is a genuine article, circa 1968, in pretty good condition - it actually looked almost new until we got a hold of it. And a few years ago, we bought a chair that has a really nice shape. Unfortunately, it too has suffered our lifestyle, with child, dog, a cross country move, and general carelessness.

So basically, we have two competing influences. The carpet, a chair, and the sofa say "Go retro!" The dining room suite, marble-topped sideboard, and two antique bookcases say "Go traditional, or fake a sort of art nouveau merges into art deco kind of look. (Yes, I know they were oppositional, but Common Man didn't rush out and buy all art deco stuff - he merged some new stuff with the art nouveau stuff he already had.)

I have a pretty darned good life, don't I? The fact that I can obsess about these things means I don't have any real problems to obsess about.

No comments: