Saturday, October 21, 2006

The idealism of Saturdays

Ahhh . . . another Saturday morning!

Saturday mornings are like new childhoods - so much potential! The whole weekend of possibility stretches out before us. Our to-do lists look achievable. We look forward to special bonding moments with loved ones, lots of laughter, good food, relaxation, and just a lot of wonderful experiences altogether!

Contrast this to Sunday evening, when we wonder where in the hell the weekend went, and why we didn't accomplish one damned thing on our to-do list!

So my husband & daughter are out of the house most of the day. I'm thinking today I could tidy up the house so that the new sitter doesn't flee in terror tonight minutes after she arrives. I could get totally caught up on the laundry and even pick out all my outfits for the coming week. I could take the dog for a walk. I could go to Old Navy and pick up some of those girls' jeans on sale for $20 a pair that I saw advertised in a flyer with this morning's paper. I could put together my own personal toolbox that I've been thinking about, complete with a padlock, so that I could keep it upstairs and not worry that my daughter will try her hand at renovating the furniture or antique bookcases.

Or I could sit here and blog about it.

I think I need to prioritize and make up a to-do list for the day. I'm actually a big fan of to-do lists. I usually have a master to-do list of things I want to accomplish in my life, things I want to accomplish within the next 5 years, this year, this month, this week, and so on.

However, I've fallen off the wagon these past several months, and I think it's time to revisit my long-term goals and rejig my shorter term plans accordingly.

But that's a topic for another blog entry.

Today, I think I'll tidy the house, get groceries, assemble my own toolbox with a padlock, and rip out my daughter's bedroom carpet. If I accomplish all these things today, I will be very pleased. If I accomplished only half of them, I'll still be pretty happy.

No comments: