Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Do blogs really need background music?

Do blogs really need background music?

Do any websites, really???

Nothing is more annoying than to be secretly surfing a little at work, and to come upon a website with loud, smarmy music. Whoa, you just can't close that window fast enough!

And when I'm on the computer at home, I have my own playlist that I'm listening to. It's annoying with some other music, unbidden and unrequested, comes blaring over top of my music.

Websites aren't like tv shows or movies. I don't think websites are enhanced by music, especially those bizarre, synthesized versions of songs we're supposed to be familiar with. The backdrop of an emotion or feeling that the webmaster is trying to convey is completely lost on me. I get away from that site as quickly as I can, because the only emotion I feel is annoyance.

For many of us, surfing is supposed to be a nice, quiet activity. If we want music, we probably already have our own music going on in the background.

No comments: