Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Tomorrow: Happy Birthday, Mom!

Well, tomorrow you would have been 75. As you were eternally youthful, I can't imagine you at 75, but I'm sure you would have made 75 look positively smashing.

I'm drinking a martini tonight to celebrate your birthday, just in case I can't have one tomorrow. I'm going to a work-related function after work, so I might be able to get a martini. But, like you always said, martinis make you take back things you didn't even steal, so I might have to forego that in the name of professionalism.

I had three olives in the martini, as I always do - one for me, one for Sharon, and one for you.

I tried to play some songs on the piano tonight that you used to play, but it made me too sad.

If I really wanted to honour you, I'd wash the damned dishes and tidy the house. You never did like dirty dishes and a messy house.

If I had a cigarette tonight, I think I'd even smoke it.

I still think about you every day and you're still a big part of my life.

No comments: