Thursday, January 25, 2007

Designers are in a rut

In my previous post, I said that interior designers are either sifting through the old Sears catalogs for the tackiest stuff, or they're just copping out and doing everything in whites. I thought I'd offer some examples of what I meant.

Here is a very sterile room. I just know that if I ever visited and sat on their furniture, I'd start my period.














Please tell me nobody actually lives here. Do you get the sense that guests are not welcome?














I think we've been watching a little too much Antiques Roadshow.













Precious, precious, precious! Undoubtedly, what the camera didn't capture was the teddy bear collection off to the right and the Precious Moments display case on the wall.














This room screams "We are old and we are Republicans, but we have damned good taste." Nobody explained to them that the department store isn't where to go for your wall art.















Sears - circa 1985. It screams "finer hotel room."














Is this a room or a salad?














This one wins an award. It's bland and chaotic at the same time.














The images above were borrowed, without permission, from the HGTV website.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

OUCH!!! Please, please, please promise me you won't post a picture of MY living room and tell the world what you think of it!!

You KNOW I'm kidding - you have excellent taste, and your comments made me laugh!